Blog Journal #5

 

Digital Divide retrieved from The Daily Star

Experiences with Twitter  

Prior to this class I never used Twitter; I didn’t think it was necessary because I had already been using other forms of social media that served the same purpose. However; I didn’t realize then how naïve I was being. Twitter has an entirely different dynamic to it... your tweets can reach the likes of thousands of people in a matter of minutes. It is very effective in transferring information making it an effective platform for a variety of people as well as businesses and organizations. So far, I’ve only been using it to keep up with all things concerning politics and education—and it has done well at keeping me updated—other than that I haven’t really found my own space on Twitter. I can see this platform being beneficial in my future career for the same reasons I’ve mentioned before. It is very effective in keeping people informed about things happening locally and nationally.  


The Digital Divide   


The Digital Divide has varying impacts on different students. It is a term that has been used to discuss the gap between those individuals who have easy access to internet and technology, and those who do not. This can cause disparity within classrooms and not every student has the benefit of having access to the internet. Students who do have access tend to exhibit greater advantages in terms of knowledge and learning and they tend to have a higher success rate. Money is the most common cause for the Digital Divide. Not everyone can afford the luxury of a computer and internet access. Moreover, geographically speaking, it is known that some individuals can’t get internet access solely based on where they live. In light of recent circumstances, the issue of the Digital Divide is more prominent now than it has ever been. With the pandemic forcing many students to stay home and attend school, many parents were worried how they were going to provide their children with the appropriate technology and internet services. I am not naïve enough to think that these problems will disappear when I transition into teaching in a classroom. I plan to combat these issues by not assigning any work outside of the classroom that requires a digital setting. I don’t really plan on assigning much homework anyway; I just simply don’t believe it is necessary—that will make my entire approach to this even easier.  


Academic Software for Students 


I know this may be a bit cliché, however, being an English Education major and planning to teach high school students, I see myself using a lot of Word/Docs and PowerPoint/Slides. English isn’t a very demanding subject in terms of content; however, it does require a lot of writing in varying forms and Microsoft Word/Google Docs is perfect for that. Moreover, I anticipate my students doing a lot of presenting in order to foster the development of presentation skills as they are beneficial in many aspects of life ranging from personal to professional.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal #7

Blog Journal #6