Blog Journal #2


 Experience with Microsoft Word   

None! I think tonight was the first night I’ve used Microsoft Word and I think I screamed internally at least six times; that is unless you refer to my resume where it states truthfully that I’m a pro in everything Microsoft—totally not a lie by the way. However, I am pretty acquainted with this thing called Google and she’s been there for me through all of my essays. You may think I’m a loser...but don’t worry, so do I. Google Docs is all I used throughout high school; however, I’m sure with a little practice it’ll be pretty simple to pick up the mechanics of Microsoft.  


What is the most important standard for Educators?  


The ISTE Standards for Educators has a list of standards for educators [insert wink]. However, I would have to argue that the most important standard for an educator would have to be “learner.” Knowledge is always changing and expanding. I feel like in order to be an effective educator you have to continue learning. Educators should set professional learning goals to explore and reflect on the effectiveness of approaches made by technology. They should also actively participate in global learning networks as well as stay current with research.  


What does it mean to be a “digital native?”  


To be a digital native means to grow up in the age of modern technological advancements. I don’t see an issue with referring to oneself as a digital native or a digital immigrant. The difference between a digital native and digital immigrant is pretty self-explanatory. In school, it was pretty difficult being instructed by an individual who isn’t technologically savvy but, in a way, it was beneficial because we learned together. Honestly, these aren’t really problems anyone has anymore because majority of educators know and understand how to operate most programs; nevertheless, I feel like my future students will appreciate my digital native-ness.  

Comments

  1. I liked how you foregrounded a learning mindset with respect to MS Word and learner standard for educators! I agree that it's important for an educator to establish meaningful learning networks and keep up to date within the field. I'm sure your students will also appreciate the idea of becoming a learner and educator, at the same time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Tim! I want to start by saying that you truly have a way with words! Your sense of humor is so great, and I felt like it was so easy to read your blog posts. I was actually sad when I got to the end. Do you plan on writing a book? Please let me know if you do! I am shocked that you haven't used Microsoft Word before, but since you are experienced in Google Docs you should be able to learn pretty quickly. I chose the same standard as you for a very similar reason, that the field of education is anything but stagnant. Furthermore, I just love how you pointed out that you and your teacher learned together through the use of new technology. I hope that my students have that same positive mindset.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal #5